xxxxxxx

xxxxxxx

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Back from the Desert


.







I was greeted by creatures on my first desert day— a happy rock monster and a Spiny Lizard sunning himself on a rock.  










Life on the desert is not crowded.  With scarcity and a generous gift of space, it seems more important, standing bold and brave against the contrast of sand and rock.  






No other hikers around, just me, no heavy thoughts or insights.  Instead, I feel the heat and wind, the sun and aromas of natural things.  My senses are at work, but my brain is on idle.  Living so close to the nature tunes in subtleties of touch and sight.  In the city I learn to block out a barking dog, the distant freeway and radios.  Out here it’s as if my hearing aid were turned up to high and my nose as good as a dog’s, my sight as good as a hawk’s.  I am more awake.


 



I try to sort out all that has happened to me in the last few hours.  The great stone face gives me a skeptical look.   












I set up the little tent that I’ve often used in backcountry, a bivvy sack really, which gives protection from bugs and rain.  I crawled inside and stretched out on top of my sleeping bag and pad in 96 degree heat at 9pm.    









I soon came out of that hothouse and put the foam pad and sleeping bag on top of the collapsed tent, hoping the breeze would help me to sleep.  But a fly came buzzing around my head, then another.  







Sunset at Campsite

I must admit that the ceiling was lovely that night, near-full moon, bright orange mars beside it, millions of stars seemed large and near, moving on some stately surface that surrounds me like a shell.  The kind of night sky that falls on a desert like this is inconceivable to a Pasadena stay-at-home.  But little sleep came, and at first light the thermometer had only fallen to 86.   










The most aggravating part of camping out there was not the heat but these tiny balls of thorns, about an inch across; they are nearly invisible as they blend in with the desert sand.  Touching one is like a mosquito bite, but you don’t dare swat; it just drives the tiny thorns in deeper. 













These pillow rocks look comfortable enough to sleep on after a sleepless night, but I’m heading out of the wilderness today, back to 29-Palms.     






It takes passion, a strong desire, to carry me through hard times.  I have come so far and gone through so much to get here.  In spite of difficulties, I was the only one in this pristine part of the wilderness.  Every half-turn of my head presented another idyllic desert scene.


8 comments:

  1. So glad you are resting after that sleepless night

    sleepless night

    moon and Mars
    and stars sing loud lullabyes

    meteor flys fall and thorny planets form
    while out of her coccoon slips
    a ragged butterfly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This ragged and sweaty butterfly has flown, and resting now in artificial cool, something the Indians never had and never missed. I am weak and wish I were strong. Tomorrow I go back for more.

      Delete
  2. Because of unprecedented heat right now in Japan, many people are rushed to hospital and some died. I'm glad to know that you're coming back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Keiko, I'm not going back home, just a day off because I am weak. Tomorrow It's back to the desert to search for the way a hiker-friend got lost.

      Delete
    2. Oh Sharon my hard-headed friend- it’s Wednesday and you should be packing up at Kathabela’s and on your way up here to sing with us. Watch out for strange creatures in the creosote.

      Delete
    3. Wish I could do both, Liz. Sing that creosote song for me ok?

      Delete
  3. There must be a magical heat-reprieve method, one that will Cool and Calculate a Clear Conscious Connection (Alittle-eration-ism for you) with the way O*U*T of T*H*E*R*E ... sorry to yell, but My Dear ~ there are better ways to BE BRAVE ... okay, I'm a little delirious over all this heat waving. I was wishing you were going to brave the transport to Keith's this coming Saturday all the way in to the air conditioning of Cool Poeticisms. (I do take Poetic License to the limits, don't I?) Keep communicating! We 'do' want to know that you aren't melting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mother, but I'm not trying to be brave. This heat wave was unexpected when I planned the trip, and you are right in responding that it's always hot in July in Joshua Tree. So I'll keep going, but scaling back. No more camping on the desert. No full-day hikes. Always out by noon. I will miss being at Keith's on Saturday, missing you, but I will not melt. Dry up and blow away maybe. And I do appreciate your poetic prose in this comment.

      Delete